Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 22, 2006


Today, I finally took the plunge to create a blog which I hope will serve as a tool to share some hints and techniques for those of you who love to play with color and texture too.

I'm an admirer of Joseph Campbell who tells us to spend some time with our "bliss" daily in order to restore our energy. My bliss is playing with a rainbow of fibers of the softest silks, mohair and wools that range from sleek and silky or combed into luscious waves or locks that are tight and crimpy in texture. The variations are never ending so my voracious interest continues to be fed. I hope yours will too.

My newest obsession is free-form knitting and crochet and my shawl that started out to be a cape is almost finished -- I had a basket full of "scrumbles" which are small pieces crocheted or knitted or a combination of both -- and then these are pieced together. This is all more fun when you have the task of selecting a colorway -- I love introducing a "surprise" color into the mix. This process reminds me of the broken china mosaics or the crazy patchwork quilting that I also enjoy. This shawl began with a piece of nuno felt created with my Embellisher using silk chiffon, fiber and water soluble stabilizer in a sort of basic triangular shape and has emerged much like a butterfly as a soft, ruffly, fluffy creation. I need to take a rest from it for a couple of days before I determine what the next step should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment