Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, January 04, 2023

2022 UPDATE

Although I don't post often, writing here serves as a reminder of everything that has transpired and is so useful when looking back. I'm happy to update this blog occasionally, but not as often as I was hoping.  Who knew retirement would be so busy! 

This summer really whizzed by so quickly and it was so hot and humid, that I barely was able to work outside in my dye tent experimenting with printing botanicals and natural dyeing.  Thank goodness that I have a wonderful studio filled with silk and wool and that kept me busy indoors.   I was so enthralled building a stash for our new Maye River Gallery opening - of course, this includes experiments (such fun!) such as heat setting polyester that I haven't done before. The first pleated scarf I made and posted on Facebook sold immediately!  Who knew polyester would be so popular - maybe it was the color or the cool  pleated texture!  I had purchased a shibori tutorial from Ana Lisa Hedstrom years ago that I had never viewed and at the very end, she used a pleating machine and polyester so, of course, I just had to try it! Then on Pinterest, I saw a bubble necklace so I had to try that too!  If you treat silk or wool the same way, they will lose the effect when they get wet but not the poly!

I do have quite a few felted and botanical printed pieces all ready.  Alas, although the beautiful new space in the desired location was selected and all the details ALMOST finalized, disappointingly it didn't work out as we had hoped. However, I do believe that can be a blessing in disguise and other wonderful things are just waiting. The gallery sisters were all so excited and our gallery mom, Judy, and her helpers had worked so hard all summer with endless meetings to ensure that things would go perfectly smooth.  Our grand opening was planned for the Bluffton Art Festival which would have been just perfect, and had excited to display a billboard created by my Beaufort Fiber Guild (FAB)  It's a spectacular work of art in which each guild member played a part. 

Monet's painting was divided up into sections with members each given a piece with a number.  We created our individual piece using our own expertise - we have a very talented group - weavers, silk painters, a basket weaver (who created the bridge!), and both needle and wet feltmakers.  It was then pieced to a backing and framed and we are very proud of it!  Since that didn't work out, "Monet Medley' will be auctioned off as a fundraiser in April 2023 to benefit Hopeful Horizons, which is a children's advocacy, domestic violence, and rape crisis center with a starting bid of $500.  Guild members hope to represent FAB at the auction!  The picture doesn't really do it justice!  I must be seen in person to appreciate the color and texture - we were really able to capture the essence of Monet's painting and we are quite proud!

Additionally, I was invited once again to enter the Hilton Head Garden Poster Contest and I have been working on a piece, Early Bird, for my entry.  I had finished this felted picture but I decided to modify it quit a bit to add a bit more interest and for it to meet the criterea of a rectangle and to frame it as well to give it more of a presence!

It is actually a frame inside a frame and it took quite a bit to figure out how to do it properly.  Our two cats loved this piece and I found them more than once wanting to sit on it while I worked on it on my table, even though I gave them their own wooly piece nearby - they love this one.  So one day last week, my husband found it on the floor near the outside door where they had dragged it!  as though they were trying to take it away and make it one of their own!  Needless to say I was horrified, although no damage done. Of course, neither one owned up!  I had made a point to close my door but forgot that one time.  Needless to say it has since been moved as my orange cat begs to go in my studio (to help!)


On another exciting note!  My husband and I are going to be great grandparents!  Our eldest granddaughter, Meg (Margaret McLeod) and her husband, Josh, are expecting a baby boy to be born in March.  To know me, is to know that I adore babies and I can't keep my hands off them!  We are so so thrilled!

            I have a couple of exciting teaching a showing opportunities in 2023 that I will share next time!!!

 

 

 


 







No comments:

Post a Comment