Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, July 10, 2022

MADE SOME PROGRESS

 While the weather was nice, I spent lots of time experimenting with dyeing, and botanical printing outside in my dye tent.  I started to panic when I realized that The Maye River Gallery's new space would be opening earlier than anticipated and that I need stock!  

Just in time, the weather shifted to very hot so I didn't feel guilty at all being inside and finishing and creating new work. 

What next?  I've had this super beautiful embroidered Indian Dupatta for several years waiting for the right time and project.  I purchased it on eBay as 100% pure silk but to my disappointment when I did the burn test, it was polyester but I like a challenge and it was so pretty that I forged ahead anyway to Nuno felt it - no easy task to get those wool fibers to migrate through the fabric but it did turn out better than ever and very puckery!  A simple jacket with the perfect blush merino wool and Uzbek silk for the lining.


I had a large piece of botanical printed wool that I wanted to make a cocoon jacket with - I didn't want to cut into the lovely print too much and spent some time searching for just the right pattern - I read that Issy Miyake had one published by Vogue some time ago but I couldn't find it and if I had, probably couldn't afford it anyway!  I did manage to find and sew one and added some luscious silk velvet in a lovely aqua green along the neck edge.  It bothered me though because it looked so old-fashioned - much like those cloaks in the 1920s and wasn't satisfied with it so off to the drawing board again and this time, the result is shorter and much more modern and wearable.


There was another botanical print using eucalyptus in yellows and orange that I had made into a duster, again something didn't please me.  Adding an organza Nuno felted collar was just what it needed.

And of course, the silk yardage that was discharged and overdyed before we moved had been sitting waiting for its turn.  I also dyed some smaller pieces in the same colorway but experimented with different designs and again, I didn't want to cut this lovely pattern too much so I decided to Nuno felt it using the experimental offcuts as the lining. It is the perfect vest/jacket that shows the best of the design and has a lovely puckery texture.





There have been a few other projects as well - this was a green and pink vest that I designed last year, but I thought it would be more suitable to wear with casual clothes if it were dipped in indigo.

Love it!

Then there is this window pane scarf that is such fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment