Things learned from this experience: do a small sample using the same materials and measure the shrinkage before beginning such a large undertaking.
This is the back and the first piece; the top portion is more yellow than the picture, in fact it matches the front perfectly; HOWEVER, it shrunk so much that I'll have to do it over.
Never give up! I'll use this for something else as it is so very pretty! Perhaps a vest back for one of my girls.
(Note: I've had to purchase more wool on line which is no easy task considering colorways can look quite different on line and the original purchases were made at a show a long time ago - it HAS to match the front; the saving grace is that I used three layers so I can probably "wing" it)
This is a close up of some detail placement where you get a better idea of the colors used.
Success with the jacket front -- these are the two fronts and the shrinkage and design match which was no easy task and I'm very excited! -- now if I can only get the back right! . . . and then there are the sleeves; those will be another challenge. The colorway is actually much softer than is shown here; it matches the back perfectly. I added just a little detail to what is planned to be the lapel area.
Although it is a nuno felt with a wonderful drape, it is quite sturdy! When held up to the light, the light shows through the silk gauze which is also very "puckery."