Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

DEADLINES

 I've been busy working on samples for FAB (Fiber Artists of Beaufort) - Japanese Rice Bags - each of us teaches a program and January was my turn!

The bags can be any size you like and can be plain or fancy.  I chose to make one from a quite gorgeous piece of Indigo-dyed Japanese shibori gifted to me by a friend.  I lined it with red reclaimed silk.  I love saving textiles and use them whenever possible.


The other was created using scraps from a felted/stitched garment and had Liberty Tara Lawn for its lining.

Then I needed some sample bags for the Savannah Guild workshop.  It always helps to refresh your memory with regard to materials and supplies required if it has been a while since you made one.  The bag advertised for the workshop was one that was made in a Jorie Johnson workshop that I took after my teaching venue in Scotland.  
We also learned how to make soy milk and how to use it to paint on fabric.  It had been a while since I did this so I had to practice,  The pieces I painted on silk (to use for felting) took forever to dry so I wasn't too happy with them but after doing a bit of research, I found that adding textile medium rather than soy it worked really well.   Because the textile medium thinned the sumi ink out, it dried much faster, and then I added touches of a lovely gold fabric paint just purchased recently at Dick Blick.  I will use this technique again and share my findings with my students.  It's also fun to use objects to paint such as small branches.

My sample bags.

Complete with silk lining and handle

work in progress . . . . 


We had nine students, one of which brought her homeschooled daughter and they were all happy with their bags - I was so busy that I completely forgot to take pictures!  I usually ask for a volunteer but we were all so immersed that I didn't.  Fortunately, Celia, did take some during the process which was a lovely surprise.  The bags were all felted when class was over, but students had to add lining and handle at home.  I'm hoping to get pictures of the finished bags soon!

As soon as this event was over, I had to meet a deadline for FACE (FACE of Fibe in the Rockies 2023  “Invitational-Juried“ Exhibit & Sale)

I entered photographs of three garments and the jury will select what to send.

The timing was really great because right after that, I received the draft of the Zero Waste Vest workshop for SEFAA in Atlanta in July.  


. . . . Also, simultaneously I was invited by Spring Gardens in Okatai, Bluffton, SC, to do a scarf workshop in November so life is good since I love sharing my techniques! 

(But now that I have my new pc, I must update my blog more often as it took way too long to update it this time and keeps me away from my passions - life is too short to spend on the computer!)













No comments:

Post a Comment